I live in the shadows of your thoughts. Barber. Born in '79. Live just a little bit north of Los Angeles.
PS- I take no credit for the pictures I post.
My Top Ten Hair Oils:
Some of you new naturals are still getting to know which oils do what and when, so I just wanted to make a quick list of my favorites! This applies to people who perm too!
Most Penetrative: Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is the only oil with the ability to completely penetrate your hair shaft, which means it as a moisturizer and protective oil it works best without water. Many naturals use this oil in a pre-poo to combat hygral fatigue. Coconut oil is amazing when it comes to preserving the natural proteins within your strands.
Most Protective: Grapeseed Oil
Are you a curly/kinky gal or guy who loves to straightening your hair? Grapeseed Oil is definitely for you! With it’s high smoke point of 450F, Grapeseed Oil can protect your strands from most blow-dryers, flat-irons, and hotcombs. Be careful: A little goes a long way!
Most Beneficial Essential: Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is a heaven’s blessing— anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and great for circulation! Many natural shampoos will contain a good amount of this little oil because of its extreme cleansing properties. If you get build up on the scalp, this oil will fix it in a jiff!
Most Bang For Your Buck: Canola Oil
I know what you’re going to say— cooking oil? Yes, hon COOKING OIL is good for your hair! If you’re up for the challenge, using canola oil as a hotoil treatment can drastically reduce frizz, breakage and tapering! Canola oil contains protein so it will help rebuild your strands bit by bit!
Most Stimulating: Peppermint Oil
If you like to “feel” product at work, just add a little bit of Peppermint Essential Oil and you’re good to go. Peppermint has all the benefits of Tea Tree with the added cooling sensation you get with gum! Add to your shampoo or just rub a little on your scalp to increase circulation and growth.
Most Hair Growth: Jamaican Black Castor Oil / Castor Oil
Nuff’ said. Veterans and newbies alike SWEAR by this oil. I might be biased but I achieve a good .75-1 inch a month in length thanks to this oil. Not to mention it softens your strands without adding buildup to the scalp or your ends. Detangling has never been easier for me!
Most Balancing: Jojoba Oil
Jojoba Oil mimics hair sebum in a way other oils are unable to do. For those that don’t know sebum is what gives our hair its coating, shin, luster and… well everything! If you’re a kinky or curly girl you may notice our hair isn’t quick to get oily as compared to our straight haired counterparts. This is because sebum often gets trapped above our hair’s various twists and turns. Depending on who you are your ends may be left dry and crunchy due to this lack of lubrication. If you’re wary of oily residue try jojoba oil! It gives all the moisture benefits of the above oils whilst maintain a dry and natural feel. It’s got wonderful softening qualities too!
Most Pleasant Smelling: Vanilla Oil
This essential oil doesn’t do much in the way of skin and hair but it smells WONDERFUL. And what person doesn’t want to smell wonderful? Slip a little into your conditioner or styler and you’ve got a delicious hair treat that will last the whole day.
Most Exotic: Tamanu Oil
Most Widely Known: Extra Virgin Olive Oil
We’ve all probably used this oil to cook once. No surprise it’s also good for your hair. It’s got all the benefits of Canola Oil, all the protective qualities of Grapeseed Oil and some of the penetrative qualities of Coconut Oil. Olive Oil also increases the tensile strength of hair by three times. This oil will protect your hair from damage while giving thickness and shine. Above all it’s pretty cheap for a lot of it.
So that’s my list. Feel free to send me your own :)
Have fun and Good luck!
- colorfulrocket reblogged this from macladync50
- shorttfused likes this
- fanajacobs likes this
- meyousha likes this
- ceremonial-queen-of-tongues likes this
- unpretentiouscharm reblogged this from katiedollthesnowyhead
- unpretentiouscharm likes this
- thusharasumod likes this
- thepolarbearfromlost likes this
- katiedollthesnowyhead reblogged this from meandrous
- jusbeinshelle likes this
- goodisboring likes this
- greengren likes this
- maddiejlugo likes this
- kultmimbur likes this
- chasingthelight25 reblogged this from curlbox
- ursaminorc27 likes this
- ajummastyle likes this
- justfangurling reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- larger-than-life76 likes this
- living-4-2day likes this
- detachedpoppy likes this
- humbleaudacity likes this
- callingallthebadboys likes this
- howtheheartbends likes this
- lived reblogged this from transiency
- palmtreeposts likes this
- 1080peas likes this
- a-southern-hummingbird likes this
- piano-piano-si-va-lontano reblogged this from hair2day-hair2moro
- enatation likes this
- passionatelychill likes this
- adorenaturalbeauty likes this
- trippytrillassshit likes this
- mickeymouse-gf reblogged this from curlbox
- an-iu reblogged this from super1eklectic
- creolevoodoo likes this
- mitchieshellychel likes this
- thefineartoflife likes this
- sisterreese reblogged this from navadabeautiful
- maddiemcnabb likes this
- capitanotightpants likes this
- thanksfortheuniverse likes this
- mag--nolia likes this
- krys2kalynn likes this
- krys2kalynn reblogged this from curlbox
- pennilessandpolished reblogged this from curlbox
- liliaguera likes this
- ilovebarbekyu reblogged this from ilovebarbekyu